When it comes to teens dating, it’s important that they get the proper advice so that they can have healthy relationships as they grow older.
For example, teens need to understand that the purpose of their first relationships is most likely going to teach them who they don’t belong with.
Teens will also have to understand that in order to have a successful relationship, they have to be happy without being in a relationship first.
Finally, teens will learn that adversity happens in all relationships, and getting past that adversity is essential to a healthy and long-lasting relationship.
Things that you should consider before dating:
- Are you really ready to start dating, or are you interested because your friends are dating? It’s fine if you’d rather just hang out with your friends. Everyone is ready for different things at different times.
- Have you thought about what you’re comfortable with physically – holding hands, kissing? Will you be able to tell your partner clearly and firmly if you don’t feel comfortable?
- Would you be able to break up with someone in a kind but firm way? And would you be able to handle rejection?
- Do you know what you’re looking for in a partner? Being attracted to someone physically is not enough for a healthy relationship. You need to think about what characteristics you like and what common interests you might like them to have.
- Do you know what it means to love someone? Love is more about wanting what is best for the other person rather than the feelings you get when you’re with them.
Things Teens Should Remember:
- When you are a teen, your most likely not going to find your soulmate, but it will teach you what and who you’re actually looking for.
- As a teen, you will figure out that the only time you’re actually ready for a relationship is when you are happy, even when you don’t have one.
- Make sure that you are paying close attention to any possible red flags at the beginning of your relationship before you get too attached.
- Finding true love takes time. But you can enjoy the journey and meet great people along the way.
What Parents Need to Know:
- Recognize that this is a new stage in their lives.
- Work together to set the rules.
- Discuss appropriate age-related dates.
- Encourage group dates.
- Talk to your teen frequently.
- Discuss social media usage.
- Get to know their date.
- Encourage dating someone the same age.
- Talk about consent.
How teenagers and young adults couple is a strong predictor of how they’ll connect later in life, so we want to take teen dating advice seriously.
There are several stages of teenage dating.
Understanding teen dating, and having continued discussions with your teen, will help them move through these exciting, confusing, and sometimes difficult times.
If you’re not sure how to discuss dating with your teen, we’ve shared our top 9 teen dating tips here.