If you’re tired of saying ‘No’ all the time and looking for a fun day to spend quality time and reconnect with your kids, then Yes Day is definitely something you want to do.
There are many great ideas that you can implement in order to have an awesome Yes Day. If your children want to get their day started with some ice cream and donuts for breakfast, allow it. Fun activities that you can do as a family on a Yes Day include going bowling, going to a theme park, or camping out in the garden. Just say yes and have some fun!
What Is Yes Day?
A Yes Day is a 24-hour period in which parents cannot say no, and have to say yes to everything their kids want, within reason.
Is Yes Day A Real Thing?
Yes Day is a Netflix movie based on a children’s book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.
However, many parents I know have been trying out a Yes Day with their kids, and say that it’s a wonderful experience for both parents and kids.
We’re so used to being busy that any extra request from our kids is usually, automatically, met with a ‘No’.
Setting aside time for the family where you put away your phones and focus completely on what your kids want to do for a whole day, is actually super rewarding.
It really makes them feel that they are your top priority.
What’s The Meaning Of Yes Day?
The meaning behind Yes Day is based on the fact that as parents we usually say ‘No’, to our kids most of the time.
The idea of Yes Day is to stop saying no and try a Yes Day instead.
Who Invented Yes day?
Amy Krouse Rosenthal wrote a children’s book called Yes Day!
Every year, kids receive a positive response regardless of how ridiculous their Yes Day ideas or requests may seem:
Can I have ice cream for breakfast? YES!
Can we have a water balloon fight? YES!
Can I stay up really late? YES!
What Are The Benefits Of A Yes Day?
A Yes Day creates an opportunity for families to reconnect and spend some quality time together.
It allows parents to be more flexible than on other days.
A Yes Day can create a positive bond between parents and children and can be a lot of fun.
It is a great reminder to disengage from the automatic ‘No’ that is the usual response from busy parents.
What Day Of The Year Is Yes Day?
Although there is no specific day to have a Yes Day in real life, the movie Yes Day! was released on March 12, 2021.
Parents who want to have a Yes Day in real life can choose any day that suits them to have a day of saying yes to their children’s requests.
Should I Give My Kid A Yes Day?
Well Yes! There are many reasons why you should have a Yes Day with your kids.
Apart from the benefits listed above, a Yes Day also empowers your children to make decisions and how to use authority and make choices wisely.
It allows your children to see a different side of their parents. It’s actually a wonderful feeling to be able to say Yes for a change for parents as well.
Are There Rules For Yes Day?
Yes, there should definitely be agreed-upon rules before having a Yes Day.
Every family can sit down together and decide on what the rules are going to be.
Here are some yes day rules that you might like to consider:
- Agree on the date.
- Set a budget.
- Agree on how far you’re willing to travel on the day.
- Requests are not allowed to be illegal or dangerous.
- Requests should not be about purchasing items i.e. kids can’t ask parents to buy them an iPhone or puppy. It should be about experiences instead.
- Everyone in the family has to be able to participate in the activity.
- Everyone has to follow the same rules.
- Yes Days should be earned. If everyone has done their chores and has had a great attitude then you can agree on a Yes Day.
- Don’t tell other people that you’re having a Yes Day – this makes it even more fun.
- Decide on how many things you will do in a day. This might depend on the requests, so perhaps each child can have a few ideas, and then you decide as a family which requests you will carry out, ensuring that every child gets some of their requests met.
- Everyone has to work together to clean up afterward if you made a mess.
Some families like to have a spontaneous Yes Day.
However, it does help if you can plan out and arrange any last-minute things the day before, to give you more freedom to enjoy the day.
This might be letting relatives know that you won’t be available on the phone all day, or arranging a pet sitter in case you’re going away for the night.
How Do You Make A Yes Day?
Here are some Yes Day Ideas to help you get started.
Remember you can choose any activities that you as a family would enjoy.
Let your children choose some activities and then you can discuss and decide together which you can fit into 24 hrs.
- Have ice cream or donuts or pizza for breakfast.
- Have a pajama day with breakfast and a movie in bed.
- Have a picnic in the living room. Or go somewhere special and have a picnic.
- Have water balloon fights or paintball fights.
- Have a day of playing family board games.
- Go to a special restaurant.
- Spend time at an arcade.
- Go to a theme park.
- Go surfing or kayaking as a family.
- Learn to do something new as a family.
- Get dirty outside. Mud fights are especially fun.
- Go to a bike park.
- Stay somewhere special for a night.
- Camp out in the backyard.
- Build a super fort in the living room.
- Have a day with no chores.
- Trip to the zoo or aquarium.
- Have a dance party.
- Play video games with your kids.
- Have a Nerf gun war with your kids.
Related article: Best Apps For Turning Chores Into Games
What To Expect On Yes Day?
Remember that your kids will most likely want to do everything in excess on a Yes Day. You have to agree to let it go.
They will want to eat more ice cream than usual, stay up later than usual and other crazy requests that you would usually not agree to.
Be prepared to take a deep breath, and allow them the freedom to do the things they’ve been wanting to do for so long.
Tomorrow, things will go back to normal, so just enjoy seeing their happy faces.