Hey Dude shoes are popular due to their comfort, style, quality, and affordability.
If you own a pair of Hey Dude shoes and you are wondering how best to clean them, then this article is for you.
We will discuss in detail how to clean Hey Dudes and care for them.
- Can You Wash Hey Dude Shoes?
- How To Wash Hey Dudes
- How To Clean Suede Hey Dude Shoes.
- How To Clean White Hey Dudes
- Can You Bleach Hey Dude Shoes?
- How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes By Hand
- How To Wash Hey Dude Insoles
- Can You Dry Hey Dudes In The Dryer?
- How To Dry Hey Dudes Fast
- How to Deodorize Hey Dude Shoes
- Related Questions
Can You Wash Hey Dude Shoes?
You can wash your Hey Dudes in the washing machine or by hand. Whichever option you choose to clean your shoes with, ensure that you use cold water or lukewarm water but not hot water.
While using the washing machine, ensure that the settings are on cold wash and a gentle wash or the delicate cycle. Please note that these washing instructions are for most Hey Dude styles made with canvas and stretch-cotton materials, excluding suede, leather, or wool shoes, which should not be cleaned in water.
How To Wash Hey Dudes
- First, you should remove all the accumulated dirt and dust on the shoe’s surface using a brush with soft bristles.
- Then tap the soles of the shoes together to get rid of all dirt there.
- According to the Hey Dudes website, you should remove the insoles and laces to clean them separately. Laces could get tangled, and the memory foam insoles or leather insoles could get ruined in the wash.
- Put the shoes inside a mesh laundry bag or a pillowcase.
- Ensure that the settings are on the delicate cycle or gentle wash (as per the washing instructions) and you are using cold machine wash so that you do not damage your shoes.
- Add a LIQUID laundry detergent or soap. If using a top loader, you should add a mild detergent when the washer is half full. Only place your pair of shoes (while they are in the laundry bag) when the washing machine is at ¾ full.
- After the washing cycle, take your shoes out and hang them up to dry. Ensure that they are not in direct sunlight while air drying them. Do not put them in the dryer, as the heat could damage them.
- You can place newspaper or crumbled paper towels in the shoes to fasten the drying process.
- Use a shoe tree to help the shoes keep their shape.
Pro-tip: Place a few towels in the washing machine with your shoes to stop them from banging around too much.
Although you can use the washing machine cleaning method, you might want to try hand-washing your shoes first, especially if they’re newer and not too dirty.
- After removing all the dirt off the shoes and the soles, half-fill a bucket or sink with warm water, add a few drops of liquid detergent, and place the shoes in soapy water.
- Use a brush with soft bristles to wash off all stubborn stains and dirt.
- Rinse with clean water until all the soap is off.
- Place them outside to air dry overnight.
How To Clean Suede Hey Dude Shoes.
Get rid of dirt and dust from the surface of your shoes using a suede brush, soft cloth, or a dry towel. Brush your suede shoes in the same direction (rather than back and forth) to avoid damaging them.
Use a damp cloth to wipe all the debris and excess dirt, and remove dry stains from the surface. Then place them outside to air dry.
You can apply suede protector spray when your shoes are clean and dry to protect the fabric.
How To Clean White Hey Dudes
White Hey Dudes may be your favorite pair to wear, but when they are stained, you might find you’re not comfortable wearing them in public.
Not to worry, you can clean your white Hey Dudes easily and effectively by following this procedure.
You can get rid of all the stains and retain their white color by using a solution of warm water and liquid washing detergent. The process is as follows:
- Take out the insoles and laces.
- Wipe off any dust and dirt with a dry cloth, and then spray your shoes with a cleaning spray like Dawn Powerwash. Let this sit for about an hour, and then gently scrub the shoes with a soft brush.
- Fill the sink with warm water mixed with half a cup of laundry whitener to soak your canvas shoes and place them upside-down in the water. You may want to put something on top of your shoes to keep them submerged. Let them soak for about two hours.
- Without rinsing them, toss your pair of shoes inside the washing machine and let them wash on a cool wash cycle. Ensure that you use the slow or non-spin cycle.
- After washing, take them out of the washing machine, straighten them if they are creased, and hang them up to dry.
- Clean the insoles using warm water and a soft-bristled brush.
- Rinse your Hey Dude insoles and leave them to air dry properly to ensure they are not prone to mildew growth once you store them.
Can You Bleach Hey Dude Shoes?
Even though they are white shoes, you should not bleach your Hey Dudes since using bleach on them will ruin the fabric. Additionally, the color of the shoes may fade when they come into contact with the bleach. Instead, you can use laundry or fabric-friendly detergent to clean your shoes safely and effectively.
How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes By Hand
Hand washing your shoes is recommended as the better option compared to cleaning them in the washing machine since you can handle them delicately. Here is a guide on how to hand-wash your Hey Dude shoes.
Wipe off any excess dust, dirt, or mud using a soft cloth. Mix warm water with liquid detergent in a bucket and swish it around until there is foam. Liquid detergent is more favorable since it dissolves easily in water, and there is less chance for it to damage the fabric on your Hey Dude shoes.
If your shoes are only slightly dirty, then you can use a washcloth to clean your shoes. Place your washcloth in the bucket and squeeze out all the excess soapy water. Wipe down your shoes using the damp washcloth. You can use a bristle brush to scrub the soles’ bottom and sides.
When your shoes are very dirty, you may need to soak them first to ensure you remove tougher stains.
Once rinsed, hang them outside to air dry but ensure they are not in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight may eventually cause your shoes to fade and the fabric to get damaged.
You can leave your shoes outside for two hours or overnight for them to dry completely. You can opt to use a fan to dry your shoes if you want them to dry faster instead of hanging them outside.
How To Wash Hey Dude Insoles
The first thing you need to do is take out the soles when loading your shoes into the washing machine. Removing the insoles will prevent them from getting damaged. They are prone to get flattened and losing their shape in the washing machine.
Mix a few drops of liquid washing detergent with the cleaning water. Swish the water until foam forms, and soapy bubbles have formed.
You should hand-wash your leather insoles by wiping them with a damp washcloth. You can also opt to scrub them with a brush that has soft bristles. The water should be somewhat soapy to remove dirt effectively.
To soak up any excess water, dab a sponge on the surface of the insoles.
You can wash your memory foam insoles by hand in soapy water. You can soak memory foam insoles if needed. Once clean and rinsed, air dry them fully before placing them back into your shoes.
If your insoles have a foul odor, you might need to use baking soda to remove the smell.
- Sprinkle baking soda on them and set them aside overnight. The baking soda will deodorize your Hey Dude insoles and soak up any dampness.
- Brush off all the baking soda from the surface of the insoles the following morning.
- Place the insoles back in your Hey Dude shoes.
Can You Dry Hey Dudes In The Dryer?
Drying your Hey Dudes in the dryer is not recommended. Excess heat produced by the dryer can shrink your shoes, distort their shape, or damage the fabric and glue. The best alternative would be to hang your shoes outside and let them air dry.
How To Dry Hey Dudes Fast
The best way to dry Hey Dudes is air drying. You can use clips to hang them on the drying rack or a pair of shoelaces to hold them up while they dry. Ensure that you place them in a shaded area and avoid areas with direct sunlight. Too much direct sunlight can damage your pair of shoes.
You can also dry your shoes with a fan. This simple method works as well as air drying, if not better. What you need to do is, after washing your shoes, let them drain off all the excess water. Then switch on the fan and select the high-speed setting. Place the shoes right by the fan and let them dry. Place the insoles and laces back in your Hey Dude shoes.
Alternatively, you can use a hair dryer. However, it is not advisable to use heat on canvas shoes. The dryer’s excessive heat may damage the shoe material, disintegrate the glue used to hold the shoe together and cause discoloration and damage to the fabric.
Turn on the warm air blower and make sure there is a distance of about 15cm between the blower and your Hey Dude shoes. The entire process should take about 10-15 minutes. If you are new to using a warm air blower for drying your shoes, then you should use methods one and two. They are more suitable for drying your pair of shoes.
Placing scrunched-up paper towels in your shoes will help soak up moisture. You can replace the paper towels when wet for faster drying. You could stuff the shoes with newspaper, but the ink might run.
How to Deodorize Hey Dude Shoes
You can deodorize your Hey Dudes using white vinegar or baking soda. These two contain chemical components that are capable of eliminating odor.
Add a little baking soda to the inside of your shoes and leave them overnight. Dump the powder, and you are good to go!
Alternatively, you can wipe the inside of your shoes with a cloth damped with white vinegar and then leave them to dry.
Can you put Hey Dudes in the washing machine?
You can wash your Hey Dude shoes in the washing machine, but that comes with its disadvantages. Note: once you have cleaned your Hey Dude shoes with a washing machine, the warranty is considered null, and you cannot return them. Simply put, you should rather hand wash your Hey Dudes.
Do Hey Dudes make your feet stink?
Hey Dudes can make your feet stink, just like other canvas shoes. This is especially true if you wear them without socks.
Wearing them for an extended period, especially in hot weather, will make your feet sweat and possibly stink.
The good news is that you can always deodorize your shoes before wearing them to solve this problem.
📢 Suggested Read: Do You Wear Socks With Hey Dudes? [Answered]
Can you bleach Hey Dude shoes?
You can bleach your Hey Dude shoes, but it is not advisable. Bleach will end up damaging the canvas fabric on your shoes, fading their color. Using reputable fabric whitener brands is a better alternative to regular bleach.
Can you buy new insoles for Hey Dude shoes?
You can buy new insoles for your Hey Dudes. If the old insoles are torn, worn out, or uncomfortable for your feet, you should replace those with a brand-new pair. Check your insoles when cleaning your shoes to determine if they need replacing.
Can you put Hey Dude in the dryer?
You can put your Hey Dudes in the dryer, but it is not recommended. Over time, the temperature from the air dryer can cause your shoes to come apart, shrink, and be damaged. Therefore, air drying your shoes is the better alternative. As long you ensure that you do not expose them to direct sunlight.
Are Hey Dude shoes waterproof?
Hey Dudes are not waterproof. They are made of canvas, which is a lightweight fabric that dries quickly and faster than other materials. This may give the impression that they are waterproof, but they are not.