The modeling industry is fast-growing, but is a very competitive industry, especially for teenagers.
Before getting into teenage modeling, you have to figure out the type of model you want to be, learn how to pose, build a modeling portfolio and grow your social media accounts.
This career path can seem overwhelming initially, but it is important to plan ahead to give yourself the best chance at success.
Below you will discover how to become a teenage model, the requirements, types of modeling jobs, and how to get hired by a legitimate modeling agency.
- How To Become A Teenage Model?
- Acquire Modeling Skills
- Create a Modeling Portfolio
- Search For Modeling Jobs
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Teenage Model?
- What Does A Teen Model Do?
- How Much Does a Teen Model Get Paid?
- What Types Of Models Are There?
- How To Get Hired By An Agency
- Pros And Cons Of Being A Teenage Model
- Is Appearance That Important?
- Supermodels Who Started At The Age Of 14 Or Younger
- How To Become A Teenage Model - Conclusion
How To Become A Teenage Model?
If you’re a teenager who’s interested in pursuing a career in modeling, there are a few key steps you can take to get started. Here’s a brief guide on how to become a teenage model:
- Build your portfolio: Before you start looking for modeling gigs, it’s important to have a portfolio of professional photos that showcase your range and versatility as a model. You can work with a local photographer or reach out to modeling agencies for recommendations.
- Research modeling agencies: Look for reputable modeling agencies in your area and research their submission requirements. Some agencies may have open casting calls, while others may require you to submit your portfolio online.
- Attend casting calls: Keep an eye out for casting calls in your area and attend as many as you can. This will give you the opportunity to meet with agents and show off your modeling skills.
- Take care of yourself: Modeling requires a lot of physical upkeep, so it’s important to take care of yourself both inside and out. This includes eating a healthy diet, getting regular exercise, and practicing good skincare habits. 📢 You might also be interested in reading: Best Face Wash For Teen Boys (All Skin Types)
- Stay persistent: It can take time to break into the modeling industry, so it’s important to stay persistent and keep putting yourself out there. Don’t be discouraged by rejection or setbacks, and continue to work on building your portfolio and networking with industry professionals.
Remember, becoming a teenage model requires hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn and grow as a model. With persistence and the right resources, you can pursue your dreams and make your mark in the industry.
Below are tips to get you started and to help you stand out from your peers.
📢 You might also be interested in reading: Helping Your Teenager Find Their Passion (Tips & Activities)
Acquire Modeling Skills
Most modeling agencies do not ask for specific qualifications; however, you need several skills to stand out and land modeling gigs.
Here are the basic skills you must have before applying for modeling jobs.
Modeling relies heavily on how you look and present yourself.
So your appearance should be one of your top priorities when looking for modeling jobs.
Being beautiful and photogenic alone will not get you jobs; you’ll need to work on your skills and strengths outside just your looks.
📢 Suggested Reading: How To Have A Glow Up Physically & Mentally
Your attitude, personality, body language, passion, and enthusiasm are some things companies associate with your appearance.
This is because they will want you to represent their brand and communicate their values with both your appearance and personality.
3. Strengths & Interests
Consider your strengths and interests to highlight an angle that makes you unique.
Are you a plus-size model? Are you into fitness? Is beauty a top interest? Do you like fashion?
Highlight your strengths when you present yourself to have a better chance at success.
4. Learn How To Pose
Study magazines for ideas on how to pose confidently.
Instagram is another great resource for learning how to pose in different ways.
Take professional photos of yourself and polish up on the poses.
If you can, engage a professional photographer for ideas on posing like a model, or attend some modeling classes or a modeling school.
Create a Modeling Portfolio
The best way to land modeling jobs is by creating a portfolio and promoting yourself.
Take several photos, including headshots, full-body shots, with different angles, etc.
The idea is to have a collection that shows your range and suitability for different modeling jobs.
1. Use Your Social Media Accounts
Agencies look at your social media accounts, so use your accounts and post your best shots online.
Your Instagram page can be a great addition to your portfolio and an excellent presentation of what you can bring to the table.
2. Create a Website
A website contributes to your professionalism, and clients can access your portfolio, contact information, and services.
Publish your photos online and add a link to your website in your resume.
Prospective clients are more likely to consider you if you have a website or online presence.
3. Create Composite Cards
A composite card is like a business card for models.
Create some and make sure they include a headshot and smaller full-body shots.
Also include statistics such as your name, height, age, weight, eye color, hair color, and body type or body shape.
Search For Modeling Jobs
1. Find Modeling Agencies
In the beginning, the best way to find modeling jobs is to work for a model agency.
They have links to clients looking for models and can find you gigs from time to time.
Find an agency that hires models in your category and send in an application.
2. Approach Photographers
Photographers have direct links to agencies and can refer you to a few they have worked with.
3. Go To Open Calls For Models
Go to an open call a few times a week; you may land a photoshoot at a model agency.
4. Follow Agency Social Media Accounts
Follow agency social media accounts, then like and comment on their posts.
They might notice your profile pic, click through to your page and get in touch because they like what they see.
5. Sign a Modeling Contract
Do not make the mistake of working without a modeling contract.
Go through the modeling contract terms and sign only when you are in agreement.
Ask questions and have your parents go through the contract to ensure everything is clear.
Make sure that the modeling agency is not a scam by getting references.
What Are The Requirements To Be A Teenage Model?
Not everyone can be a model, so it is crucial that you first understand what is required.
Here are some requirements you should consider to become a teenage model:
Agencies will highlight the specific age they are looking for, but some are willing to take different ages for the same jobs, as long as you look the part.
Younger models will usually be needed for fashion and catalog shoots, so there are jobs available for younger tweens with parental approval.
Generally, sixteen is a good age to get started with modeling.
At 17, you’re more mature and confident, so it can be a great time to look for jobs and build experience.
Eighteen is also a good age because your schooling is finished which means you can focus on your teen modeling career.
2. Your Parents Approval
Talk to your parents and get their approval before you start modeling.
You might need to explain why this career choice is important to you, especially if they are against it.
Take time to listen to their concerns and reassure them that you will keep up with school while exploring your passion.
3. Height & Weight
Most agencies in the fashion world require female models to be between 5’8’’ and 6.0’’.
Female fashion models usually weigh between 105 pounds (48 kilograms) and 130 pounds (59 kilograms), proportional to their height.
Male fashion models are usually between 5’11” and 6’2″ and weigh between 140 pounds (64 kilograms) and 165 pounds (75 kilograms).
Commercial models usually vary in body types, so you can be shorter or weigh more. Plus-size models typically wear a size 10 or larger.
To become a successful model, you need to bring your best, and confidence is a big part of that.
When you show confidence in your body and attitude then you can show off your clients’ products with style.
5. Work Ethic
Modeling is a job like any other; so you have to maintain a professional work ethic to remain in the industry.
How you relate to the photographer and team on photo shoots will have a strong impact on your success as a model.
Build skills like communication, integrity, and teamwork.
6. Modeling Categories
What type of model are you? Are you a fashion model? Do you want to be a beauty model? Are you into fitness modeling?
You want to be sure that you fall into a category that agencies are looking for.
What Does A Teen Model Do?
A teen model is a valuable part of a marketing team, promoting products and showcasing items for popular brands.
A teen model can showcase clothing, furniture, beauty products, makeup products, and any other product that needs marketing.
Watch this video to see what teen modeling is really like:
How Much Does a Teen Model Get Paid?
According to ZipRecruiter, the average pay for a teen model is $25 per hour.
On the low end, the rate is roughly $8 per hour while on the high end the rate is $71.39 per hour.
The top 10 highest paying cities for teen modeling jobs are:
- Sunnyvale, CA
- Santa Rosa, CA
- Williston, ND
- Manhattan, NY
- Cambridge, MA
- Arlington, VA
- Dickinson, ND
- Ketchikan, AK
- Vacaville, CA
- New York City, NY
There is no limit to how much you can make; as you grow your skills and experience, you are bound to earn more and make a decent income.
What Types Of Models Are There?
Modeling is broad and has various categories that you can work in professionally or casually.
Fashion models are the most common, they showcase designer clothing on a runway or in magazines.
Other types of models include:
- High-fashion model
- Runway model
- Fitness model
- Swimsuit model
- Plus-size model
- Commercial model
- Promotional model
- Print model
- Parts model
- Catalog model
- Hand model
- Foot model
- Child model
Commercial and promotional modeling includes showcasing products in different industries.
This can be in beauty, motor, tech, health, or any product niche you can imagine.
Print modeling includes taking photos with the products and printing them in magazines, billboards, posters, or online advertising campaigns.
How To Get Hired By An Agency
Getting a modeling job can be daunting at the beginning.
The tips below can set you apart and get you that modeling job at a reputable modeling agency.
- Create a list of modeling agencies in your area and check if they are hiring.
- Check for jobs that are within your modeling category.
- Talk to photographers you know for referrals.
- Create composite cards with your details and share them with your networks.
- Follow agencies’ social media accounts for updates on open calls.
- Go to open calls with your portfolio and put your best foot forward.
- Join modeling groups on social media to see what agencies are hiring.
- Drop your resume at agencies or apply online through their websites.
- Tag brands you would like to work for in your social media posts.
Watch this video where models reveal how they were discovered:
Pros And Cons Of Being A Teenage Model
Modeling can be fun and a great learning experience, but it comes with a set of benefits and drawbacks like any other job.
Pros of Being a Teenage Model
- A decent income.
- Easy to balance with school.
- Modeling as a teen is a great way to get into the beauty & fashion industry.
Cons of Being a Teenage Model
- The jobs are inconsistent; therefore, your income can be unpredictable.
- Jobs can be demanding because you need to constantly try different outfits and poses.
- Finding jobs can be challenging as you grow older.
Is Appearance That Important?
Your appearance as a model is important because clients expect you to showcase their products.
Being attractive or having a certain look is a top consideration for most jobs.
Your appearance should complement the product’s brand to ensure effective promotion.
Your look and attitude should convey the aspirational aspects of the product you’re promoting.
The good thing is that there is no set standard or requirement for a model’s appearance.
The requirements are different for different jobs, and as long as you meet the requirements, you are good to go.
Today, models can be anything from dark-skinned or light-skinned to petite or plump.
Your suitability as far as appearance goes will depend on the target audience of the brand that hires you.
Appearance is important, but it is not the only thing you need to succeed as a model.
Supermodels Who Started At The Age Of 14 Or Younger
Many supermodels started modeling at the age of 14 or younger.
These models include:
- Kendall Jenner – view on Instagram
- Gigi Hadid – view on Instagram
- Bella Hadid – view on Instagram
- Coco Rocha – view on Instagram
How To Become A Teenage Model – Conclusion
If you think that you have what it takes to become a teen model you will need to decide on what type of modeling you want to do, get comp cards, approach agencies, be confident, and work hard.
Remember to always keep your parents informed and stay safe while exploring this new adventure.
Top Summer Jobs For Teens