The use of online writing tools such as Grammarly has become increasingly popular. However, there has been some controversy surrounding the use of such tools, with some people arguing that they are a form of cheating.
This article will explore both sides of the argument and explain why Grammarly is not cheating.
- What is Grammarly?
- Why do some people think Grammarly is cheating?
- Is Grammarly Cheating?
- Why Grammarly is not cheating?
- What Does Grammarly Do For Students?
- Why You Shouldn't Use Grammarly
- Can You Use Grammarly For School?
- Is Grammarly Good For College Essays?
- Can You Use Grammarly For University?
- Can Teachers See If You Use Grammarly?
- Is Grammarly Free?
What is Grammarly?
Grammarly is an online writing tool that checks for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. It also provides suggestions for improving sentence structure, word choice, and style. The tool uses machine learning algorithms to analyze text and provide feedback to the user.
Why do some people think Grammarly is cheating?
Because Grammarly allows users to improve their writing without necessarily learning the grammar rules, some argue that using it is cheating. If the user uses a tool like Grammarly, they feel they are not taking responsibility for their writing and rely on a machine to do the work.
Furthermore, using Grammarly could be interpreted as plagiarism if used to correct sentences or phrases copied from another source.
Is Grammarly Cheating?
Grammarly is not cheating. Its sole purpose is to check grammar, spelling, punctuation mistakes, and any typing errors in your writing. It can also be used to check for plagiarism.
Grammarly can be considered another set of eyes going through your work to remove improper spelling, punctuation, and any type of plagiarism.
The software goes further to help you write your content according to your intended audience by helping you with a writing style meant for either UK or American English readers.
Like other similar grammar checking tools, Grammarly helps with editing and basic grammar checking and, in turn, improves the users’ English language skills. It’s similar to spell check found on Microsoft Word or Google Docs, which is not cheating and is more like using a dictionary or calculator to verify specific facts.
It only becomes cheating if you use it during spelling or grammar quizzes/exercises to gain an unfair advantage.
Why Grammarly is not cheating?
Grammarly is not cheating because it’s considered a writing assistant; you need to understand and write English to use it well. Grammarly is simply a tool, not a replacement for learning grammar rules.
Though handy for grammar checks, it does not write for you, nor can it teach somebody how to write English or create helpful content from rough drafts.
Grammarly does not automatically make the corrections. Users must still make the final decision on whether to accept or reject Grammarly’s suggestions, and they must still have a basic understanding of grammar rules to use the tool effectively.
With the software installed, you can check and correct mistakes helping you write more accurately. Before Grammarly and other spellchecking tools were available, you would use a dictionary or thesaurus to check spelling, or editors and professional proofreaders fluent in English did the proofreading.
Like Microsoft Word, Grammarly is a word-processing program that helps fine-tune and correct grammar while maintaining the original concept and substance of the document. The software flags any plagiarised work, so you cannot include content copied from other sources and try to pass it off as your own unless you mark the sources and give good citations.
In addition, Grammarly can assist writers in learning grammar rules more effectively. As a result of seeing the corrections and suggestions that the tool makes, users are able to better understand the importance of grammar rules and how they can apply them to their writing.
In this way, Grammarly can be a valuable learning tool for writers.
Finally, there is no evidence to suggest that using Grammarly constitutes plagiarism. It is a tool designed to assist writers in improving their writing, not to create content for them. As long as the writer uses the editing tool to enhance their original paper, plagiarism does not occur.
🤓 You might also enjoy reading: How To Use ChatGPT Ethically As A Learning Tool For Students
What Does Grammarly Do For Students?
Grammarly is an online writing assistant that can help with spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
This software tool for students can help them with their writing tasks by highlighting common errors and offering suggestions on how to fix them.
Students can easily upload their written work onto Grammarly’s platform and receive detailed feedback, from basic spelling and grammar mistakes to advanced errors in tone and syntax, within seconds.
Grammarly can highlight passive voice, wordiness, unclear sentence structure, and other issues that might affect the clarity and effectiveness of their writing.
For students who struggle with grammar, Grammarly can be a lifesaver. It identifies common grammatical errors such as subject-verb agreement, comma splices, and run-on sentences. This feedback can help students understand their weaknesses and avoid making similar mistakes in the future.
Grammarly can also provide suggestions for sentence structure and phrasing. This is especially helpful for students struggling to express their ideas clearly and concisely. With Grammarly’s help, students can improve their writing skills and learn how to communicate their ideas more effectively.
Grammarly can also be an excellent time-saver for students. It can quickly identify and correct mistakes, freeing time for students to focus on other aspects of their work. This can be especially helpful for students who have multiple assignments and are under a time crunch.
Most college professors recommend students run their thesis and dissertation through Grammarly before submission. Some students have challenges with spelling and grammar, especially those with learning disabilities like dyslexia. They can avoid grammatical and spelling errors by reviewing their work through Grammarly.
🤓 Suggested Reading: How To Develop Leadership Skills In Teenagers
Does Grammarly Check Grammar?
Yes, Grammarly checks grammar and offers suggestions to correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. It also provides feedback on sentence structure and phrasing to help users improve the clarity and effectiveness of their writing.
Watch the video below on how Grammarly can help students work faster:
What Can’t Grammarly Do?
Here are a few limitations to keep in mind:
- Contextual Analysis: While Grammarly can analyze text for grammar, spelling, and punctuation, it may not always pick up on contextual errors. For example, if a writer uses a word correctly in one context but misuses it in another, Grammarly may not be able to detect the error. Also, Grammarly may not fully understand the context of a specific industry or field, such as medical terminology or legal jargon.
- Creativity: Grammarly is designed to provide suggestions and feedback based on established rules of grammar and writing conventions. However, it cannot generate creative or original ideas for writers. It cannot replace the need for critical thinking, research, or analysis.
- Plagiarism: Grammarly can detect some instances of plagiarism, such as direct quotes or text that has been copied and pasted. However, it may not always detect paraphrasing or rewording of someone else’s work. It is important for writers to always correctly cite their sources and avoid any potential instances of plagiarism.
- Human Touch: While Grammarly can provide valuable feedback on grammar and writing style, it cannot replace the human touch in editing and proofreading. It cannot fully understand the writer’s intentions, tone, or voice and may not always provide the most appropriate suggestions for every situation.
- Localization: Grammarly is available in multiple languages, but it may not be able to provide the same level of feedback and suggestions for languages other than English. Additionally, it may be unable to recognize cultural differences or nuances in writing styles specific to certain regions or countries.
Does Grammarly Write Papers?
Grammarly does not write papers; it is not a writing tool. It improves the structure of sentences for better reading but needs original written content to paraphrase, edit and check for plagiarism. However, it cannot write a paper or any content from article drafts.
Why You Shouldn’t Use Grammarly
One argument against using Grammarly is that it can create over-dependence on technology and lead to a lack of personal effort and improvement. By relying too heavily on software to correct mistakes, writers may miss the opportunity to learn from their errors and develop their writing skills.
Another argument against using Grammarly is that it is not foolproof and may not catch all errors. While Grammarly is an excellent tool for identifying common errors, it may not always pick up on more subtle mistakes or errors specific to a particular context or subject. Also, Grammarly occasionally makes incorrect suggestions or fails to recognize intentional stylistic choices. Users still need to ensure that they ignore any wrong suggestions.
Furthermore, some people may argue that Grammarly is only sometimes necessary. The Grammarly premium version is costly even when subscribing to the annual subscription package choice, so it might only be worth it if you plan to use it often and for an extended period.
Grammarly offers writing assistance; don’t expect it to evaluate your thinking and bring your ideas to life. It can’t measure the strength of an argument for something like a thesis or help you write powerful sentences that will engage your intended target.
Can You Use Grammarly For School?
You can use Grammarly for school so long as you don’t use it in a setting where your spelling and grammar skills are being tested. It would be considered cheating and academic dishonesty. It is allowed if you use it for a plagiarism check to authenticate your work.
Is Grammarly Good For College Essays?
Grammarly is good for college essays since it helps check grammar and spelling mistakes. College students should thoroughly proofread their work before submission to avoid errors that could lead to the impression that the student needs to be more thorough.
Can You Use Grammarly For University?
Grammarly offers detailed grammar, spelling, and punctuation feedback and suggestions for improving sentence structure and phrasing. University students can use these checks on academic writing tasks such as essays, research papers, and reports.
Grammarly can be beneficial for non-native English speakers who struggle with grammar and syntax. It can improve students’ writing skills, help them avoid common errors, and clarify their ideas.
Although Grammarly can be a helpful tool for university work, it is not a substitute for careful proofreading, editing, and research. To ensure that your arguments are clear and well-supported, students need to take the time to read over their work carefully and double-check their sources.
Some universities may also have specific guidelines or requirements for writing assignments, such as citation styles or formatting. Students must be aware of these guidelines and ensure their work meets the necessary criteria.
Can Teachers See If You Use Grammarly?
It depends on how Grammarly is being used. If a student is using Grammarly as a browser extension or on the Grammarly website, then it is unlikely that a teacher will be able to tell if the student is using the online tool. Grammarly works in the background of the student’s writing process, and the teacher would have no way of knowing if the student is using it or not.
However, if a teacher specifically requests that students submit their work through the Grammarly platform, then the teacher would be able to see the feedback and suggestions provided by Grammarly. In this case, the teacher would know that the student used Grammarly, but this would be because the student submitted their work through the platform, not because Grammarly is inherently detectable.
Is Grammarly Free?
Grammarly has a free basic version. You get the version by installing the free Chrome extension, which you can use forever without paying a dime. It is limited in features and basic in that it checks for common mistakes and offers basic suggestions compared to the Premium paid version, which has more features.
Grammarly Paid Vs. Free
Grammarly offers both free and paid Premium options, and there are several key differences between the two:
- Features: The free version of Grammarly provides basic spelling and grammar checks and limited vocabulary suggestions. The Premium version, on the other hand, offers advanced checks for clarity, tone, engagement, and delivery. It can also detect more complex errors and provide more in-depth feedback on writing style and structure.
- Plagiarism Checker: The Premium version of Grammarly includes a plagiarism checker, which can scan documents for copied content and provide suggestions for citing sources properly.
- Personalization: The Premium version of Grammarly allows users to customize their writing goals and style preferences. Users can select their intended audience, tone, and style, and Grammarly will provide feedback and suggestions based on those preferences.
- Integration: The Premium version of Grammarly integrates with popular writing tools and platforms, such as Microsoft Word and Google Docs. This allows users to receive real-time feedback and suggestions as they write.
- Pricing: As the name suggests, the free version of Grammarly is free to use. The Premium version, however, requires a subscription and can be quite expensive for some users. There are several pricing plans available, including monthly, quarterly, and annual subscriptions.
- After paying for the premium plan, you get a 100% money-back guarantee if you find the version unsatisfactory in its functions. However, you must make a claim within seven days after payment.
- The paid and free versions don’t offer the option to use when offline; you will need to be connected to the internet to use them.
Can I Get Grammarly Premium For Free As A Student?
While there is no official way to get Grammarly Premium for free as a student, there are several ways that students can get a discounted or free trial version of the software.
- Educational Discounts: Grammarly offers discounts for students and educators through its Educational Program. Students can sign up for a free account with their educational email address and receive a discount code that can be used to purchase a Grammarly Premium subscription at a reduced price.
- Free Trial: Grammarly sometimes offers a free trial of its Premium service to new users. Students can sign up for a free account and try out the Premium features for a limited time before deciding whether to purchase a subscription.
- Referral Program: Grammarly also has a referral program that allows users to earn free Premium time by referring friends and colleagues to the service. Students can refer their classmates or friends to Grammarly and receive free Premium time for each referral.