For years, weight training has been viewed as something that is only for boys.
However, lifting weights has many benefits, and girls can train with weights too.
It’s a misconception that weight training is bad for younger people who are still growing.
In fact, lifting weights will lead to stronger bone health as well as improvements in fitness.
Stronger muscles will not only lead to greater strength but also increased muscle mass and lower body fat.
Girls who are into training will discover what their body is capable of, and the many other positive benefits.
For example, they’ll benefit from improved mental clarity and mental health due to the stress-busting benefits of weight training.
Add to this increased discipline and dedication due to the routine involved.
Bullying is something that some girls have to deal with, but going to the gym will give them the confidence boost needed to get over the insecurities caused by bullying.
Weight training is about much more than just looks, it’s also an awesome way to build confidence in the way you look and feel.
What Is A Good Gym Routine For A Teenage Girl?
Encourage your teen to start her gym workouts with a trainer (or experienced friend).
Getting into the gym to get started will seem quite intimidating at first, and it’ll help a lot if there is someone around to show her the ropes.
It is often advised to start a gym routine with some stretching and aerobic activity before getting into the main workout.
Strength training uses resistance and you can use several forms of resistance like:
- Resistance bands
- Weight machines
- Free weights
Remember to start slowly with bodyweight and resistance bands to build up a basic strength foundation.
Girls can move to more advanced machines and ultimately to free weights once they feel strong and confident enough to do so.
Experts recommend that teenagers get at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day, and getting into the gym is an excellent way to get your heart pumping.
- Lifting weights is not just a “guy thing”, but now more and more girls are going to the gym
- Lifting weights is more about what the body can do versus what it looks like
- Weight training has many benefits including:
- Improved strength & fitness
- Increased muscle mass & lower body fat
- Increased bone density & strength
- Improved self-image, lower stress, and better mental health
- Going to the gym can help girls feel good about themselves
- Weight training can help girls get over insecurities from being bullied